Friday, October 14, 2011

Valencia, Barcelona, and Zaragoza

Two weeks ago, we went on yet another road trip! This time it was to the east.
We drove a few hours to Valencia.

VALENCIA:

Immediately after disembussing (yes, I just made that word up), I noted that the air was breezy and smelled like the sea. PTL. First we saw la Llotja de la Seda (Silk Exchange). I love the spiral columns; check it out:
Valencia was the silk capital of the west, and merchants would come here to trade. Being a Gothic building, there are, of course, gargoyles. There were a few non-G-rated ones. I would post pics but I want to maintain the G-rating of my blog. Ask me some other time and I'll show you. They were funny! :D Here are the inside courtyard and the staircase leading to the second floor:


After the Llotja, we went to the market and saw this beauty:
I'm still not used to looking animals in the eye while I'm eating them.

Next, we went to St. Mary's cathedral, where you better believe the Holy Grail is! Or so legend says. I'd like to think I was in the same place as the famed Grail, so we're going with it. Of course, you had to pay like 15€ to go in the museum half of the cathedral with the grail, so we didn't see it in person. Boo. But it was still a pretty cathedral.
Dome
Altarpiece
Poster advertising the Holy Grail
Miquelete (Little Michael), the bell tower
A buxom water siren showing her goodies.

After that adventure, we went on a bus tour of the city. My favorite part was the Ciutat de les Arts i les Ciències (City of the Arts and Sciences). I REALLY wanted to go to L'Oceanogràfic aquarium, but alas, we didn't have time. But here are some views of the area:
Harp-shaped bridge
 Sweet pool behind the Museu de les Ciències Príncipe Felipe
Random pods in a wall
 Watch out! T-Rex!
 Ceramic teepee

Next, we saw the Museu Nacional de Ceràmica. BTW, Valencia was also the ceramics capital of Spain. I learned a lot about how ceramics are made and colored and like such as. Sorry, no pics allowed inside. But we did manage to sneak one in:

We met up with our group at a restaurant to have paella. Cultural note: drink refills are not free in Spain. So pace yourself through your drink, because it has to last 3 courses. Anyway, we went to our hotel and I crashed within half an hour. Yep, I'm officially feeling old. The next morning, we headed for Barcelona!


 BARCELONA:

I was excited to have two whole days in Barcelona! It's the second biggest city in Spain, and I've always been told it's a pretty happenin' place. When we arrived, we couldn't take our bus tour as planned, so we got a close-up walking tour of El Barri Gòtic (The Gothic Quarter). Our hotel was about an hour outside of the city, so we went back to the sketchiest, most questionable hotel room I have ever been in. Seriously. But, I did get to wake up to this:

The second day, we finally got to take our bus tour of the city! They give you headphones and then you get an audio tour in the language of your choice. And it takes you to ALL the good places. So, it was a good time.

 We took a small break from our tour and found a restaurant. I had a chicken and veggie sandwich and a chocolate mint batido. Yum! Oh, and we found this HUGE jar of Nutella.
After embussing on the tour bus, we continued our sight-seeing. Here are the goodies we saw:
The Forum
The Plaza de Toros (BTW's, as of this month, bullfighting is illegal in Cataluña)
La Sagrada Familia


El Parc Güell - designed by Gaudí


Bird nests built right into the walls
View of Barcelona
The Casa Milà
Cool statues on the roof




Scale model of the Casa Milà


Finally got to swim in the Mediterranean Sea!
I really wanted to walk down La Rambla (the main shopping district) but alas, we didn't have time. I'll put that on the list of things to do next time I'm there!

I woke up the next morning with a nasty cold, so I was all grumpy-grump. At least I got to have my fun in Barça before getting sicky! We were on the bus all day, but we did make a brief stop in Zaragoza. The cathedral there was beautiful, and there was a wedding going on while we were there! (So, no pictures.) Finally made it back to Alcalá and I took an Ambien and went to bed!

Cultural note: In Catalunya and Valencia, they speak Catalán. Similar to Spanish, but not mutually intelligible. Catalunya is all bitter at Spain right now and kind of wants to separate, so you'll actually get nicer reactions from people there if you speak English instead. Just a thought.

Stay tuned for my next installment; I'll tell you all about my trip to Ávila, Salamanca, and Valladolid. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment